Life Itself

Welcome! This blog is for keeping friends and family updated on what is happening in my life. I have a brand new digital camera and I'm not afraid to use it, so I am often left with an overwhelming amount of pictures to resize and send out to folks. I hope this makes it easier to share them. At the bottom of each post there is a place to leave comments or greetings, please feel free :) (Although any "anonymous" comments without a name will be deleted) Many blessings to you!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

COPENHAGEN, Aug 6-10

The beautiful Nyhavn, once frequented by Hans Christian Andersen and drunken sailors.

The Little Mermaid. This is the second time I've seen her, but I find this statue really interesting, because if you look at her from different angles, her expression seems to change. Hm.


I want to say that this is the Fredricksborg Palace in Copenhagen (if I'm wrong I'll change it later). The palace is surrounded by a large, green park. Similar to VondelPark in Amsterdam. People go there to play frisbee, suntan and just hang out. We ate granola bars there.

This is the ceiling inside of the "marble church" (I think it's the Queen's Church). The whole interior of the church is quite stunning, and gives you such a feeling of reverence that most people sit quietly in the pews and soak it in. Oh, and there's the signs that say "no talking, only praying". But seriously, it was a moving experience.


One of the many pretty fountains in the Tivoli grounds. At night it is lit up spectacularly.


Another fountain with the pagoda in the background.


Pretty much the same shot but at night with the lights. Anna Margrethe and I both agree that this is one of the most romantic places around.


Oops... this might be Frericksborg castle. (Katie, help!). Katie and I took the train outside of Copenhagen to see this spectacular castle. Noramlly I think all castles are the same, but this one was really neat to look through. The BEST part was in the chapel. My guide book (good ol' Rick Steeves) told us to look closely at all the windows because visiting kings of old scratched their names into the glass with their diamond rings!! Some of the dates were crazy! 1600s and 1700s!

This was taken in the courtyard behind the apartment building we stayed in. Our window is just to the right of Amy's head, and as you can see, we were on the ground floor amidst much construction. Let's just say we had to keep our blinds closed. Anna Margrethe's friend Stine lives here and got us hooked up with a guest room.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home