Sky City...
... that is the name of the 24 hour area in the Stockholm Arlanda airport. This is where I am right now. I left Amy at Cityterminalen at 10pm, and was dropped off at the airport at around 10:45. It is now 4:15am.
I have never spent the night on an airport bench before... the idea was kind of thrilling at first. I bought 2 books for cheap at the "Pocket Shop" in Stockholm. They are: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon (which I am almost finished) and The History of Love by Nicole Krauss, which Amy has been reading this whole trip and telling me how good it is. Elaine- I propose that this be the our first "book club" book! It's relatively new, but you should be able to find it at the library.
The first book is narrated by a 15 year old with Asperger's Syndrome (fiction), and I'm finding it really interesting to understand how he thinks and why he does some of the things he does.
Anyway, the airport is uneventful, I tried to sleep between 1:30 and 4:30, but was awoken at 2:30 by a buffer machine going back and forth and around my bench. Then 2 extremely drunk men came and sat near me and I decided it was time to find something else to do. I'm just using the last of my internet time and then it will be time for me to check in. I hope I packed everything the way the new standards require.
OH! I forgot to tell you about something neat that happened today in Stockholm! So, suddenly the skies opened up and poured rain on us for a couple hours (this is why we took refuge in the mall), but during this time, we were hopping from awning to awning, trying to not get completely soaked when I decided to heck with it! I'm buying an umbrella! I saw some people walking around with good ol' Sweden umbrellas, and when I asked the man where he had bought it, he just simply handed it over to me and said "you can have it"!!! Amy and I were shocked. We said over and over, are you sure? are you sure? can we pay you? He said "nope" and went into a store to buy a plain grey umbrella for himself!
So, whoever you were Mister, you made my rainy day much brighter- I hope someone returns the favour to you one day... I also hope I can keep that scenario in mind when someone near me needs something I can give them.
Alright, now I will sign off, and I will see you all (well most of you) in the 'Peg very soon.
Much love,
A

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home